question-icon

Can one intake Xanthan gum during pregnancy?

Posted on Mon, 7 Dec 2015
Question: hi I am 27 weeks pregnant can I use xantham gum in food
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam (40 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
No specific harmful effects reported in pregnancy, preferably restricted.

Detailed Answer:

Though no specific harmful effects have been reported of the use of the gum during pregnancy, it is better used in a restricted manner like any other medication during pregnancy.

You can use smaller amounts not exceeding those available with processed foods in the market. It is safe to consume up to 15 grams/day, but you have to be watchful about the laxative effect of the gum since excessive laxatives are not good for pregnancy.

Hope your query has been clarified. Please feel free to contact for further information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN