Can mites infestation occur in the hair post lice removal?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
Subsequent to removing lice (acquired in a gym, removal verified by biopsy) with Ivermectin prescribed and used twice. I continued to have symptoms. Using a stiff brush, I would brush out into a bright white sink tiny round insects that would move, but barely. Also brushed out were very short, thin linear black objects that look like hair, but occasionally move side to side. Nits? All this brushing is in enclosed room with no window and with HVAC off; i.e. there is no breeze, draft etc. that could cause movement In any event movement is much too slow (almost imperceptible) and non-linear to be caused by a draft or HVAC. Could these be mites, and, if so, are there standard ways of getting rid of them? (They impact my sleep and get in my eyes.)
MDs always ask if wife has them too, but wife sleeps in separate bedroom, and we are very careful not to share any clolthing or other objects which might transmit the insects.
Tue, 5 Jun 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Regarding remedy for possible mites

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

I am not sure that they are mites without having a closer look at what you shed but if they are mites then you may use an ivermectin 0.5% shampoo or permethrin 1% creme rinse. I think that would be effective in killing the mite. In addition I also suggest you to take an oral antihistamine e.g Cetrizine 10mg tab once every evening for symptomatic relief from itching.

Follow-up: Can mites infestation occur in the hair post lice removal? 1 hour later
Dear Dr. Kakkar,
Many thanks for your prompt response.

I have twice used the two-dose Ivermectin protocol in tablet form. The first two doses killed the lice but had no effect on whatever the insect is that is the problem now. With the lice gone, I took a second two dose regimen of Ivermectin, with no impact. Do you think that the Ivermectin shampoo would have better results than the tablets?

I have also used permethrin, in this case the 5% creme, at least twice. Unfortunately, it was not effective on this particular insect (or nsects). It occurred to me that I may have an insect which, through extended use of these medications, has become resistant to them.

I had thought of using Lindane, but the potentially serious side effects on the brain decided me against it. Any other thoughts?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding mite infestation

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

If it is a mite I don't think resistance is an issue with ivermectin and/or permethrin. Also they are much more effective than Lindane. You may definitely try ivermectin 0.5% shampoo, two applications, a week apart, as it would ensure direct application on the target area.