Can loud noises from crackers cause hearing loss in an infant?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi,
My baby is 2months old.Yesterday there was loud noise of crackers behind my house.Though my windows were closed but the sound was loud.Could my baby's hearing have been affected by this.How can I know if there was any impact of the noises on his wars now.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not a cause for concern.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query. Based on my experience I can say that such short bursts of distant loud noise usually does not cause damage to hearing of a child. So, I do not think that you need to grow concerned.

It is simple enough to test the hearing of a child although the response might be hard to assess depending on how much of head fixity has been achieved and how much head movement can be seen. The child should be accustomed to the mother's voice. If the mother speaks from a side and the child looks in that direction, it suggests that the hearing capacity of the child is fine and you need not worry.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
It was not distant though.It was just next to the room where the baby was.So, the noise was very loud
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
By distant I meant not close to ears

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. By distant I meant distant from ear (not like a gun being fired close to the ear). Just monitor the response of the child to sound. You can use a rattle or some other source of sound. Possibly things would be just fine.'