Can lifting heavy weights on a regular basis cause heart disease?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 24 Aug 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: 1) A lot of talk is going on these days about lifting weights hurts the heart. Some cardiologists claim that you should not lift more than half your body weight. Is this true?
Do moderate weights (for an athlete) like 100kg/220lb on the squat,deadlift 80kg/170lb on the bench hurt the heart on a healthy athletic indiviual of 40 years of age?

2) They say that for aerobic exercise you have to subtract your age from 220 and then adjust your zone. E,g 60-70% For me 60& would be 108 pulse which is too low. Do you agree with me and if yes can you success me another way of finding my healthy training zone?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The amount of exercise is variable.

Detailed Answer:

Hello

1. The amount of weight that you can lift safely without damaging the heart is variable and depends on your ejection fraction and adaptability of your cardiac muscles. The amount of exercise that your heart can endure safely is not fixed for all the individuals. You can increase your capacity by regular exercise and gradual increase in weights under the guidance of a professional trainer. For a beginner it is best to not to lift any weight that causes your heart rate to increase by more than 50%.

2. Following an arbitrary formula without an assessment of your fitness level is not healthy. You need a proper cardiac monitor and a trainer to find the healthy training zone.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Take Care!
Dr. Suresh Heijebu,