Can i use Pedichloryl to sedate an infant?

Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: My son is 2.5 months old and 6 kgs. he is very high need. demanding and high crying baby with tantrums. i need to travel and so i want to sedate him for 4 to 5 hours . i tried phenargan 2.5 ml he slept for 30 mins and then started playing. then i found him little irritated and sleepy now i have put him to sleep again. this doesnt seem to work. i have few questions
i have given him phenargon at 3 pm so how long he will be under this medicines influence and little irritable and drowsy?
can i give him pedichloryl 3.5 ml . if yes how long will it make him sleep? when can i repeat if needed?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pedichloryl can be used

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Dear Ms XXXXXXX

It is usually not advisable to sedate an infant. But for some unavoidable reasons it may be needed by parents.
I would suggest you the following
1. Adequate feeds: When the tummy of baby is filled they peacefully sleep.
2. Keep the baby dry : A good diaper will do the trick.

If the baby is not hungry , Phenargan will usually keep the baby sedated for 2 to 3 hours

Pedichloryl can also be used. 3.5ml can be used and if wanted repeated after 2 hours. The dosage should not exceed 3 times in 24 hours. As you need the baby sedated for 4 to 5 hours , you can give the baby Pedichloryl 3.5ml and when the baby wakes up you can feed the baby and repeat the dose. Do maintain the nutrition of baby.

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Best regards
Dr Deepak XXXXXXX
MBBS, MS, MCh
Consultant Pediatric Surgeon
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 18 minutes later
can i give him pEdichloryl 5 ml? my doc suggested that
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Give him Pedichloryl 3.5ml

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Greetings

You can give him Pedichloryl 3.5 ml. If he is still not sleepy you can repeat the dosage after 1 hour.
Do keep a watch on respiration of the kid.

Best regards
Dr Deepak