Can diarrhea cause chills?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 19 Jul 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi my nephew had diarrhea yesterday afternoon -evening and went a few times in the night. He is a 20 year old - male. he felt nasaue, had diarrhea, headache and felt cold. He feels a bit better this morning , no diarrhea as of yet but he says he feels cold.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
fluid and electrolyte loss can cause this to occur

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The fluid and electrolyte loss during the day and and night would cause the cold sensations.

The decreased body fluid levels and electrolyte levels coupled with the resolving illness can cause this symptom to occur.

Once a 4 hour interval has passed with no diarrhea then he can start to use the crackers or toast.
He should take sips of fluids throughout the day to replace what was lost , gatorade is helpful because it replaces electrolytes but because it contains a lot of sugar, the sugar can stimulate the intestines, it would need to diluted by at least half.

Ginger or peppermint tea may settle his stomach and intestines.

The immodium should be avoided if possible. In most cases the virus or bacteria passes out/flushes out. Immodium and similar meds are only used if the diarrhea last for a long time (eg more than a week) or if travelling etc.

Summary -- hot tea fine, dilute gatorade, dry foods when 4 hours with no symptoms, avoid immodium.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 8 hours later
Thanks Dr. Gibson XXXXXXX His last BM was 3:15 ..just water..He is finallt sleeping wih no urge to defecate. Hopefully he can eat some toast with the chicken broth. Again..thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
nice to know he is continuing to improve

Detailed Answer:
HI

Glad he is doing better, this should continue.

Any other problems, can let me know