Can diabetes cause fatigue?

Dr. Noble Zachariah

Posted on Fri, 27 Jul 2018 in Diabetes
Question: I apparently have borderline diabetes per my PCP, but am not on any meds for it currently and do not monitor my blood sugar. This has been diagnosed since my physical last year per A1C level at a borderline. Recently I am having a lot of fatigue and actually falling asleep in my chair twice a day. Also having episodes of sweating and feeling dizzy so I have to sit down until it passes. I eat a healthy diet 3 times a day; do not have excessive thirst, hunger, or urination. My question is; is this fatigue most likely to be a result of progression of diabetes? Should I start monitoring my blood sugar?
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Discussion follows

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for your query.
Fatigue is a usual symptom in diabetes and is more common than the classic symptoms of increased urination and thirst.
It would be good to have A1c repeated and if it is 6.5% or above you have diabetes, 5.6% to 6.4% is pre diabetes.
It would also be good to monitor fasting blood sugar and blood sugar 2 hours after your lunch or breakfast whichever is larger.

Do get back to me if you have further queries.