• question-icon

Can a needle prick transmit infections?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I sustained a very minor needprick (as opposed to needlestick) in my office today (I am a Dentist) after giving an infiltration injection to a patient. The needle went through my slacks and pricked my skin. I did not see any signs of bleeding when I checked (about 3 minutes after the incident). The patient had bled a bit after the injection, however that was after the needle had been withdrawn. Do you think I have a reason to be concerned? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry about in my opinion, negligible chances

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. Needle pricks result in transmission of infections less than 1 % of the times, and with there being no blood on the needle when the incident took place, that 1 % chance further drops.

In my honest opinion, there is nothing to worry about. I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan