Can a lumbar fusion in the back cause jerking sensations?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 23 Jul 2018 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I have an undiagnosed movement disorder, my mri and EEG were normal. I had a lumbar fusion less than 2 years ago. i have had continued back and hip pain since. could the hardware in my back cause me to jerk? The hip and leg jerks have been going on since the back surgery but the full body jerking started about 2 months ago. They happen Every time I lay down. they seem to start in my hips and legs and go through my abs, ribcage and neck too.here is video of some of what I'm going through. https://photos.app.goo.gl/MEoqfy4ZDTugjx5m1
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Spinal myoclonus.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

I saw the video that you uploaded too.

Propriospinal myoclonus is the name of a possible condition that may happen after spinal surgery.

Treatment consists of the use of the drugs such clonazepam, and in severe cases, epidural blocks.

Discuss with your spine Doctor about these issues.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana