Can a fall cause delirium in an elderly patient?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 14 May 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: My Mom is talking seemingly random thoughts, connecting Lady Bird XXXXXXX and XXXXXXX Bird the basketball player. I am talking to her by phone. She is 89 years old, recently fell but they checked her out and said she was fine.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be chronic subdural hematoma

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using HealthcareMagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

Although it is not possible to speculate diagnosis but considering old age, a recent history of fall and trauma, irrelevant talks suggest the possibility of chronic subdural hematoma where the blood gets collected between the membranes around the brain. The problem may arise with delay after trauma as there is often lucid interval (period of normalcy despite having damage).

In my opinion, medical help should be sought again for your mother.

I hope this answers you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee