Can a chronic injury (shoulder) raise your blood pressure? It

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Fri, 8 Mar 2019 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Can a chronic injury (shoulder) raise your blood pressure? It has bothered me for several months and I have taken excess Advil to alleviate the pain. My BP is usually 130/80 and has spiked this week to 165/90. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, Advil can raise blood pressure.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mr. Townsend,

Unfortunately, yes, Advil can definitely raise one's blood pressure. All of the NSAID family of medications (ibuprofen, naproxen, ketorolac, etc) if taken in dosages high enough to decrease inflammation can also increase blood pressure and this is true for both people who have a history of hypertension as well as people with no history of it.

The stress resulting from pain can raise blood pressure as well.

I recommend that you go in to see your doctor to see if you may be a candidate for other treatments for your shoulder (physical therapy, warm water exercises, etc).

In the meantime, Acetaminophen (Tylenol) can help with the pain but for some situations, particularly inflammatory, it is not as helpful as NSAIDs are.

You can try to replace some of the Advil with Tylenol (but do not exceed the upper limit of acetaminophen as it can be toxic to the liver - also, no alcohol while using Tylenol).

I hope this information helps.
Please let me know if I can provide further information or clarification.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee