Can Zika infection be transmitted through sexual intercourse?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 6 Mar 2017 in Infections
Question: I have a question regarding travel to a high risk zika country. Myself and my partner are travelling to Vietnam in May. We did not realise when booking that it was at risk from zika. We were planning on trying to conceive when we return. I realise that the advice is to not try to conceive for at least six months on return but i wanted to know whether there was also any longer term risks from contracting the virus and whether there was testing that could be done on return and how reliable this testing would be?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
For now, longterm risk cannot be ascertained!

Detailed Answer:

This is a very recent viral infection and we do not have long term monitoring to tell what the exact consequences are in future at least for those who get infected. I will suggest that do all to stay away from it.

Yes, a test exists to tell whether you have this infection or not. Ask your doctor about where to get it done in the neighborhood.

I wish you both a great vacation. Keep me updated and always feel free getting to me directly in future if need be.