Ask a Urologist   »  

Can Tamsulosin cause memory loss?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
Does Tamsulosin have a side effect of memory loss as anticholinergic drugs seem to have? My husband has been prescribed Tamsulosin and is leery of the potential side effects of memory loss and dementia.
Sat, 2 Jun 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tomsulosin does not cause memmory loss .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

Your husband who has poor urine flow due to enlarged prostate and has been prescribed Tomsulosin .However he is worried about the memory loss as a side effect .

I would state that Tomsulosin does cause slight drowsiness in few patient but it goes away ass body gets accustomed to the drug within 2-3 weeks time .I have not come across memory loss to any patient in my 43 years of practice whom I have recomonded Tomsulosin .

The memory loss that is observed is due to ageing which is normal at this age .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.