Can HIV be contracted through the reuse of injection needles?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Fri, 7 Sep 2018 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Sir, recently I read an article where a quack dishonesty used a single injection needle continuously to many persons leading to spread of hiv to some persons, this article just reminded me of incident. I bought many times fresh the syringe for titanus injection when ever I have cut.
More recently I got married and my wife is got pregnant.
During pregnancy she has gone for as a routine in pregnancy Hiv test which came negative.
Since i have done intercourse with my wife with out any safety and she has hiv negative.
Can I think myself also hiv negative.
She has gone twice for hiv tests since during the pregnancy I have shifted to another city, shown to two doctors. So can I conclude we both are safe.
Whenever I read about news of the hiv due to injection syringe I always scared got scared. Please help me. And for your information recently after marriage my weight is increased by 18kgs my wife is a good cook.
So please clarify my doubt because whenever I read article or news of syringe I got scared.

I had never done sex before my marriage
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your HIV risk is almost nil

Detailed Answer:

In the incident you had mentioned, the quack doctor reused the same syringe for many people and thereby it leads to the spread of HIV infection.
You had used new syringes every time. Everywhere people are taking injection daily worldwide in every hospitals and clinics. The incidence of HIV transmission through syringes is negligible.
Moreover, your wife had been tested for HIV twice during the pregnancy and they came as Non-reactive. It ascertained that you both are free from HIV Infection. Nothing to worry.

Dr S Murugan.
HIV AIDS Specialist
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 48 minutes later
Sir it is very difficult many times in past about syringes or injections but it was sure that I always bought new one always. So can I be relaxed that since my wife has came non-reactive for Hiv, both of us are safe. Moreover can you explain me why hiv test is conducted in pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are free from HIV Infection

Detailed Answer:

HIV can be transmitted to the baby from the infected mother. If the mother is found to have HIV, the baby can be saved from getting infection, by giving ART drugs. Because of this reason, all the expectant mothers are screened for HIV infection.
HIV cannot be transmitted through fresh syringes and your wife's reports clearly ruled out HIV infection.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr S Murugan.
HIV AIDS Specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 52 minutes later
Is gaining weight is also a positive sign.... Since after marriage gained a lot of weight. I used to eat high protein diet to make a good physique so can. I can relax that I am free of any infection

I don't need any check up or test na
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
No HIV test is needed for you unless you had some exposure out of marriage.

Detailed Answer:

As long as you had used a separate disposable syringe every time for injections so far, you need no test for HIV.

Dr S.Murugan