question-icon

Can Fosamax be used in person with acid reflux issues for treating osteoporosis?

Posted on Tue, 23 Oct 2018
Question: Is Fosamax still one of the best choices for long term use for Osterporosis? And what is the percentage of woman who experience the side of affect of stomach upset? If I have acid reflux should I still try it?

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar (23 minutes later)
Brief Answer:

You can just take an antacid like Rantac if it increases your problem.

Detailed Answer:

Hello!

Fosamax belongs to a class of drug called Bisphosphonates. Among all Bisphosphonates most commonly used one is Fosamax however mild reflux like symptoms could be a side effect of this as well as other medicines of this group.

Exact percentage can't be told but its seen in only few cases and that too can be controlled very well with antacids.

Yes you should definitely try it as how your body would respond to a particular medication depends on your body only.

Hope my answer was helpful.

Dr. Ramesh Kumar,
Gastroenterologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist