Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Blue veins visible on cheek. What does it mean?

Jul 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1993
Answered : 1196 Questions
What does it mean if a vein appears visible over your cheek that wasn't visible before. It's blue and starts under the outer left eye and runs all the way down to the jawline. This just appeared one day on my 4 year old..sometimes it is more visible than other times..but it just appeared on day when he was 4. He's 5 now. He's had other thon blue veins on his face that I think were always there....but this one just seems to be an odd location and the fact that I could never see it before.
Posted Sun, 10 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 2 hours later
Hi there.
I read through your history & your past history of th ePenny stuck et al was of particular interest. In your case, i do believe anxiety is the only concern. Relax, a lot of children develop these veins & if my guess is correct, your child is pretty lean. In thin individuals, these veins are more visible & can appear de novo (ie without any particular reason). Persistent hacking cough & strain are potential factors precipitating the appearance hence my observation as regds the XXXXXXX stuck earlier.
For completion sake, when you do find time, one may consider doing an ECHO cardiogram to rule out any underlying vascular causes albeit this seems far-fetched & am presuming here the healthcare system in Canada covers these tests for you.
In a nutshell, these visible veins are just an incidental finding & rest assured all is well with your little boy! Cheers & Good luck & wish you all continued good health!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor