Blue veins visible on cheek. What does it mean?

Dr. Praveen Rodrigues

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: What does it mean if a vein appears visible over your cheek that wasn't visible before. It's blue and starts under the outer left eye and runs all the way down to the jawline. This just appeared one day on my 4 year old..sometimes it is more visible than other times..but it just appeared on day when he was 4. He's 5 now. He's had other thon blue veins on his face that I think were always there....but this one just seems to be an odd location and the fact that I could never see it before.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 2 hours later
Hi there.
I read through your history & your past history of th ePenny stuck et al was of particular interest. In your case, i do believe anxiety is the only concern. Relax, a lot of children develop these veins & if my guess is correct, your child is pretty lean. In thin individuals, these veins are more visible & can appear de novo (ie without any particular reason). Persistent hacking cough & strain are potential factors precipitating the appearance hence my observation as regds the XXXXXXX stuck earlier.
For completion sake, when you do find time, one may consider doing an ECHO cardiogram to rule out any underlying vascular causes albeit this seems far-fetched & am presuming here the healthcare system in Canada covers these tests for you.
In a nutshell, these visible veins are just an incidental finding & rest assured all is well with your little boy! Cheers & Good luck & wish you all continued good health!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD