Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Back surgery done. Now fingertip are sensitive and numb. Should I consult a neurosurgeon?

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9349 Questions
fingertip numbnessI'm 23 and recently had emergency back surgery for crushed vertabre that flew into my nerves. about two weeks ago my fingertips started to get really sensitive. then turned into almost numb. it feels like I have timberland wrapped around them and they turned almost a brown tint. not really sure if I should be concerned and if I should see my nurosurgen or what specific doctor
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 31 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your querry.
Information that I would like to know is: when was surgical procedure performed? And what level of spine was injured? Are both hands affected? Depending on it I ll be able to tell are your symptoms caused by your accident, surgery or something else.
Such symptoms arent something usual, but these sensations might be temporary effect of surgery because after every surgical procedure oedema occur and it compress nerves roots around vertebras. When oedema pull back,symptoms should dissapear. If I am right this is nothing serious,but you must be sure that this isnt caused by decreased vascular supply so if you notice paleness, lack of pulses, inability to move fingers or intensive pain you should visit vascular specialist. If your numbness persists or progress you should visit neurologist or nerursurgeon definitely.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor