At what age an a child be send to day care?

Dr. Ashwin Bhandari

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: We have a child of close to 8 months old. Both of us go for work and hence the child remains with one our relatives. We are planning to put child in Daycare and in this regard have also visited one which is very professional and attached to the wife's office. Could you tell me what is the best age to send child to daycare. We dont plan to send to daycare unless she completes 1 year atleast.
Answered by Dr. Ashwin Bhandari 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No particular age.

Detailed Answer:

Clinically, there is no particular age advised to admit a child in day care. From my personal experience, the best time would be when you feel that your child needs to start having interactions with other children. As this would help her in improving her motor, sensory and vocabulary skills, i.e., walking, talking, playing, sensing etc.

There are also chances of the kid getting sick frequently after getting into day care. So, older the kid better it is.

As day cares admit kids as young as 3 months, you can take a call depending upon the health and growth of your kid.

Hope this answers your query. If any further questions, will be happy to help.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj