Are difficulty in breathing and cough a sign of COPD?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2017
Sep 2017

Pulmonologist
Question
I have had my doctor suspect I have COPD. My mother, age 65, died in 2015 from this disease. I was put on dulera and Albuterol two years ago. Back in the beginning of November I got sick. A really bad cold I believe. Since then I have had a hard time breathing, using my rescue inhaler alot, and have had and still have laryngitis. I'm still not feeling well and I cough alot, coughs are productive. Question is, is this a sign my doctor is right and I may have COPD?
Wed, 6 Jun 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, possibility of COPD is more likely.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Yes, possibility of COPD (chronic obstructive Pulmonary disease) is more likely in your case.
Your current symptoms are suggestive of worsening of COPD.
You had bad cold. And this kind of infections are most common cause for worsening of COPD.
So in my opinion, you should definitely get done repeat PFT (Pulmonary Function Test) to know the severity of COPD because treatment of COPD is based on severity only.
Please let me know if you already had PFT done.
I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.

Follow-up: Are difficulty in breathing and cough a sign of COPD? 18 minutes later
I have not had this test done but have had numerous oxygen treatments at the hospital due to low blood oxygen levels. should I go to an ER due to my current state? I can barely speak and nothing is helping me get better.

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you should definitely visit hospital.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Yes, you should definitely visit hospital for treatment because your symptoms are more suggestive of acute exacerbation (worsening) of COPD.
And this needs antibiotics, steroids and longer acting inhaled bronchodilators.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.