Are capsules safe to take twice a day with BP levels of 168/86?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 10 Oct 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am in a very stressful caregiving position, my usual dosage was 1 capsule by mouth once a day. My blood pressure yesterday in the Drs office was 168/86. Is it safe for me to take two per day? Thank you for your advice. Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:

I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern and would like to explain that a single blood pressure measurement is not sufficient for getting to a conclusion of not properly controlled high blood pressure values.

Especially, when this single high blood pressure value (168/86 mmHg) it is less reliable as it may be due to anxiety from medical staff contact (what is called white coat hypertension).

Is is advisable to check several BP values (frequently monitoring your blood pressure values - several times daily for a couple of days up to a week, if possible), in order to arrive to a more exact conclusion on your average BP condition.

In addition, I recommend providing me with a more specific information regarding the name and exact dose of your daily single capsule therapy, in order to be possible for me to give a more professional opinion and be helpful to you.

I remain at your disposal for any further discussions, whenever you will need.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Ilir Sharka, Cardiologist