Are calcium supplements advisable for a person with lactose intolerance?

Dr. Remy Koshy

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: If a person is lactose intolrant, taking calcium supplements is advisable?
Will it help with fulfillment of Ca need of body
Answered by Dr. Remy Koshy 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Explained below..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,
Thanks for posting your query,

Lactose intolerant persons are more prone to get calcium and Vitamin D deficiency due to the lack of consumption of milk and diary products which are the rich sources of calcium.

But, you can always chose to add more of lactose free calcium rich foods like,
-green leafy vegetables, such as spinach, XXXXXXX broccoli, cabbage and okra
-soya beans
-tofu
-nuts
-fish containing edible bones (for example, sardines, salmon, and pilchards)

A daily calcium intake of 1,000 mg (milligrams) for men and women up to age 50, increasing to 1,200 mg for women over age 50 and men over age 70 is recommended.

In addition, supplements of calcium will help to meet the daily requirements in those who are lactose intolerant.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to discuss further,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Remy Koshy 2 minutes later
Can you suggest some calcium supplements ?
Answered by Dr. Remy Koshy 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See below..

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
Thanks for writing back,

You can buy any calcium and vitamin D supplements over the counter. Since you have asked for my suggestion, I would enlist few of my options:

- SHELCAL
- CALCIMAX
- ACICAL-D

In consideration with your age, you would require 250-500mg of elemental calcium.

Hope this helps.

Please feel free to discuss further,