Are arm pain, tremors and vitiligo on forehead symptoms of Hashimoto's disease?

Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I was diagnosed recently w/ Hasimoto Disease. Five months ago I developed tremors and Vitiligio on my forehead but the worst symptom I have is both my upper arms ache and hurt horribly with nerve and just pain that even lyrica doesn't take away. Is my arm pain a symptom of HD? and the tremors and the Vitiligio???
I really want to know about my arms!!
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Vitamin B12 deficiency + Cervical spine/neck MRI

Detailed Answer:
Good day,
Noted your concern and really sorry to hear about the arm pain. With 2 autoimmune diseases ( vitiligo and Hashimoto's) you may also have other autoimmune disoeases, partiularly Vitamin B12 deficiency ( Pernicious anemia) which could cause arm and leg pain as well as tingling. Another possibility is cervical spine disease. The third possibility is a cervical rib. Fourth possibility is brachial plexus injury.

It is important to get a good physical examination which will guide us further.
You may also need a nerve condution test + an MRI scan of cervical spine, neck and brachial plexus .

I would strongly recommend to get a Vitamin B12 level and Vitamin D level.
Pain is not directly related to hashimoto's disease. Even parkinson's disease will not directly cause pain.

Binu