Advised to take 20 mg of arip and I am taking 15 mg of it. Does it make a difference?

Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

Posted on Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: hi i am 39 yr female have been advised 20 mg arip mt daily but i am taking 15 mg only. does it make a difference? (aripiprazole)
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: Desired outcome could be delayed Detailed Answer: Hi, The desired clinical outcome would be delayed if the recommended dose is not taken. That means if the doctor is expecting certain improvement in your condition on follow up in certain time, say 'one month', he may not see this on the follow up. Subsequently he may unnecessarily increase the dose. I suggest you to be clear with your doctor on your next follow up and take 20mg of aripiprazole again. Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 23 minutes later
Thanks for reply Dr, does that mean if i take 20 mg as recommended there will be desired outcome and then doctor might reduce it to a lower level like after a month. so will the outcome stay with the lesser dose (e.g 15 mg). ?(ater i have taken 20 mg for a month)
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: Possibly Detailed Answer: Hi, The clinical outcomes are varied from person to person. The doctor might think that 20mg is sufficient dose to start with or end with as he had experienced outcomes with some other patients. If he do not see any outcome then he may stop the drug or add one more drug. Suppose he sees the benefit with the drug he may continue with that dose for sometime. The time period is variable. If he notices side affects then he can reduce the dose keeping the benefits closer. So the treatment revolves around this standard base line for a patient. You should understand always treatment is tailor made. Hope this is clear.