Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
161 Doctors are Online

65 year old, had triple bypass surgery, still having chest pain. Need help ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Cardiac Surgeon
Practicing since : 1972
Answered : 9 Questions
I am a 65 year old female, 5', 168 lbs. I had triple bypass surgery 3 weeks ago today and still have a lot of chest pain, but the doctor refuses to prescribe anything. He had prescribed Percoset 5 mg, one every 6 hours, that lasted a week after my release tow weeks ago. However, I still have pain, but he said I do not need anything further. Is this reasonable? I hate being in pain and frankly, the medication did not help all that much.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Joan F. Tryzelaar 59 minutes later

Post-operative pain after bypass surgery is very variable and can range from almost none to severe. Percocet (codeine) is usually adequate treatment, but some patients don't do well with codeine like analgesics. However, I would never tell patients they don't "need anything", but rather work to find a solution by switching to a different pain medication, and above all, by making sure nothing else is wrong. Else a pain medicine specialist can be of help to you if your doctor has tried everything.

Local pain can be caused by a painful wire that was placed to put your breast bone back together (usually 4-5), an infection and a variety of other disorders, including a "post-cardiotomy syndrome".

If you want to read general information about this, you may want to read at these links:
Hope this helps,

Dr T
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiac Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor