Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

123 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

6 months old, taking solid food. Change in stool. Should i be worried?

Answered by
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Practicing since :1994

Answered : 11507 Questions

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Child Health
Question: My 5 and a half month old son started on Solids about a month ago he has his 10 oz bottle in the morning two solid feelings during the days and his 10 oz bottle at night. In the last week his poop has changed to a light brown color and has become very watery, it's always exploding out of the diaper, is this a sign his body is rejecting the pablum and bananas I give him? Should I be worried? Should I take him to the doctor?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
When the solid food is started, it is normal for the consistency of the stool to change. If the child is passing only only one or two stools in a day, then there is nothing to worry as this will gradually settle down on its own without any treatment.
You can start giving him boiled, mashed vegetables and pulses, fresh fruit juice and semi-solid food. If you are a non-vegetarian you can give fish or chicken soup and yellow part of the boiled egg.
Reduce artificial feeds as much as possible and encourage natural foods.
You may start with rice cereal ( boiled , mashed or ground or ready made ) which is easy to digest . After a week of introducing the new food ( only 1-2 serving daily ) if you feel that the baby has tolerated it well then you may proceed to use the next item like mashed bananas , boiled mashed apples , or other fruits or fruit juices. With each new food at least keep a gap of four days so that if any loose motion or intolerance occurs then you can pinpoint to one particular food causing it .
In case the problem persists, then consulting a pediatrician is recommended.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on