Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

57 year old male, lower back pain. diagnosed with DISH by chiropractor. Surgery an option ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10437 Questions
I am a 57 year old male.Have had some lower back issues. My chiropractor diagnosed me recently with DISH. What are my options?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Follow-up: 57 year old male, lower back pain. diagnosed with DISH by chiropractor. Surgery an option ? 17 minutes later
Can I play golf with this condition even when there is discomfort ?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

Diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis (DISH) is a form of degenerative arthritis. It is characterized by abnormal calcification along the sides of the vertebrae of the spine with inflammation and calcification of tendons.

Treatment options include pain killers, muscle relaxants, local steroid injections in severe pain and local analgesic gels.

Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
- If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.
- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physio.
- avoid exercises in times of pain.
- improvise your posture while sitting.

Normally with adequate treatment you can lead a normal life without much disability. You can play golf as long as you do not have any pain in the back.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: 57 year old male, lower back pain. diagnosed with DISH by chiropractor. Surgery an option ? 3 hours later
Is surgery an option if it gets worse or doesn't go away? And what does the surgery consist of? Thanks for your help
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.

In this case surgery is not an emergency. If you can lead a normal life with the help of medicines then the surgery can be avoided for a while. T

he disease process will not be reversed with any medicines but the symptoms can be taken care of.
Usually surgery is considered when the nerve roots get involved.

According to the extent of affection nerve root decompression or laminectomy is done.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor