Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

50 year old. Suffering from calcium deficiency and muscle spam. Need advice on required treatment

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
I am 50 year old. I am suffering from calcium deficiency. My serum calcium level is 8 mg/dl. 25 - OH Vitamin D Total is 59ng/ml. I am taking calcium supplement (Calcium Carbonate - 1250 mg(equivalent to elemental calcium - 500 mg), Vitamin D3 XXXXXXX - 0000 IU/week . Still my calcium level is low. I am suffering from severe muscle spasm. Whether I need to take magnesium along with calcium supplementation.

Kindly advise me about line of treatment and type of specialist Doctor need to be consulted for above medical condition and for further follow up.
Posted Mon, 8 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Yes , you are suffering from hypocalcemia ( low serum calcium).
The vit d levels are now in the appropriate ( sufficient ) range and you have been advised appropriate treatment in the form of vitamin D and calcium supplements .
However since your calcium levels are still low you can do the following to ensure optimal levels,
1. Try a Calcium citrate form as supplement or a combination of calcium with magnesium ( usually the daily dose of magnesium is half of that of calcium ).
2. Further get yourself evaluated to rule out any underlying hormonal causes by carrying out tests like thyroid and parathyroid profile , renal profile etc.
You can consult a XXXXXXX medicine specialist ( MD physician ) or an endocrinologist for the same .
3. Have a calcium XXXXXXX diet including dairy products , fish ( if non vegetarian ) or
greens such as leafy vegetables ,mustard,calcium-fortified soy milk, fruit juice and cereals; and broccoli.
4. Maintain a healthy lifestyle by avoiding any addictions and exercising daily for atleast half an hour.

Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer in case you have no further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor