Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

13 years old has short height. Is there any medical treatment to increase height?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1997
Answered : 379 Questions
My son is 13 years old and his height, as per one of the doctors is less by 5".
Is there any medical treatment for increasing the height?. My height is 5.7" and my wife's hight is 5.4".
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 18 hours later

Boys grow in height till 18 years of age and adolescent growth spurt takes lead from 13 to 18 years age. So it will be too early to comment about his final height. On an average boys do not grow beyond 13.5 cm above mean of father's height and mother's height.

Doctors assume some child has short height on basis of growth chart. However a single reading may not be reliable as child may have low growth speed in height in first decade of life.. more so if parents to had similar growth speed. This is absolutely normal.

Height is also assessed in relation to weight and maturity of bones. It will be very appropriate to comment on your son's height if the details of height and weight are mentioned. On an average, at 4 year age child should be 100 cm and at 10 year age, child should not be less than 120 cm. and at 18 years should be at least 140 cm plus. But this potential is often affected even by birth weight and related issues.

There are some serious causes of short stature, that can only be commented if we have basic investigations done. Please get him evaluated for bone age, TSH T3, T4 levels and IGH assay to look for treatable causes if any. Often they are normal, but if any issue.. it can surely be rectified.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: 13 years old has short height. Is there any medical treatment to increase height? 44 minutes later
thank you
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 3 hours later
Most welcome…

If you have no further query, please close this discussion.
I would appreciate your reviews about this service.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor