having back and neck pain.

I?m a soft ware engineer and work for long hours on the computer. I have bad back and neck pains. It is better during weekends but starts again by mid week- What should I do? Sometimes I get neck pain as well.
Asked On : Fri, 22 Jan 2010
Dentist, Periodontics 's  Response

Welcome to HCM

Thanks for the concern

This problem of yours is related to your posture. As you need to work on computer for long time sitting in same posture ,neck down to see at the monitor for long time.

Try these for relief:

See that your chair is supporting your back and neck while working.

take yoyr eyes off every 15 mins and look around.

stretch your legs and hands every half an hour.

Rotate your necck side and up and down (neck exercises)

stand up and take five mins walk in the office every hour

small exercises like rotation of ankle and wrist, strech outs every hour will help

try to keep your back straight supported by a good seating arrangement.

You need to follow these routinely otherwise you will land up with cervical spondilytis in long run.

If still pain persists can consult an orthopedician for needful opinion and can go for physiotherapy.

Hope i have tried to answer your query
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Sunil Kumar Gupta's  Response
dear one
pl do not worry,you will improve with physiotherapy .pl stand up from yours computer at one hour interval.have a round in yours room,do passive movement of neck & body. stretch yourself,it takes 2-3 minutes only.
you will be fit for next do regularly the Yoga & Pranayam with neck exercises.hope to here yours well being news,if you fallow it

dr s k gupta ortho surgeon
Working in front of a computer can cause a lot of problems. Poor posture may be caused by habits from everyday activities such as sitting in office chairs, looking at the computer, driving, standing for long periods of time, or even sleeping. Poor postures can easily cause or aggravate episodes of back pain and damage spinal structures. 1)Back pain may be the result of poor ergonomics. 2)Take regular breaks- as muscles tire improper posture puts extra pressure on the neck and back. 3)Keep the body in proper alignment while sitting in an office chair and working on the computer. 4)Regular exercise can keep you fit and agile and reduce risk of such problems. 5)Using proper chairs and ergonomically designed office equipment will reduce the risk of such injuries. 6) Eye strain is a known problem caused by the glare when computers are used continuously for long hours. You can minimize this by taking regular breaks and using an antiglare screen or using a laptop instead. Please check out these links for further information and click on Lets Stretch Program link. If any further query, you can have a Live Chat with one of our doctors online between 9am-9pm IST (GMT+5:30) on all 7 days a week at Alternatively, you can speak with them over phone at +91-80-41743045 between 12noon-6pm IST from Monday to Friday.
I'm also suffering from same problem.. I hope your tips will help me to recover

Shweta, India