Wood lodged into knee causing swelling and pus, increased after tetanus shot, wood came out on squeezing. What should be my next step?

While hiking I fell on a dead tree stump. A piece lodged into my leg below the knee which I took out, after returning home it was swollen and pus was coming out, I pressed on it and a small piece of wood came out. The next day I saw my doctor who felt it would heal and gave me a tetanus shot. After 2 days it became increasingly swollen and sore and once again I went to see my doctor who lanced it could find no remaining pieces. He gave me a prescription for antibiotics . Yesterday it was extremely swollen and when I pressed on it a 1 inch sliver of wood came out along with pus. I felt that probably was all; however, today it is still somewhat swollen and has a very hard area around the puncture site. My doctor is now out of the country for 2 weeks, should I seek additional medical attention or do you feel it will now heal since the wood has been expelled?
Asked On : Thu, 16 Aug 2012
Jul 2012
Hi there. It appears all the wood has been extruded & it will heal on its own. However, do take an antinbiotic course coupled with an anti-inflammatory agent & it is always better to get these via a prescription from your local Gp while at the same time getting a second opinion. Wood splinters are notorious for getting left behind. However, remember that our body is geared to 'reject' foreign bodies & hence the localizing reaction & pus et al to 'throw' out the foreign particle. Let nature do its bit & you do yours..cheers & Good luck