Will the nitrate content of beetroot be affected if it is steamed or boiled?

Hi docter , i have a doubt , about beetroot juice , I have heard of the nitrate contents of beetroot and it is benefits for blood circulation , especially for the brain , my doubt is if i steam or boil the beetroot is there any chance to reduce the nitrate content of the same . I hope i will be able to get a proper answer as early as possible thank you
Asked On : Sun, 5 Aug 2012
Jun 2015
Hello dear,

You are correct regarding the fact that the nitrate content of beetroot is beneficial for blood circulation.
Additionally, beetroot are a rich source of potent antioxidants and nutrients, including magnesium, sodium, potassium and vitamin C and betaine, which is important for cardiovascular health.
But cooking/boiling reduces nitrate content significantly along with the other nutrients.

So, it is better to take beetroot in the form of salad or juice.
Beetroot juice has been shown to lower blood pressure and thus help prevent cardiovascular problems.

Wishing you a good health.