Why is there sharp twinges of chest pain ? I am suffering from cough

I am a 39 year old mother of 3. I have had a cold for a week, which I have been treating with nosespray (Nasonex) and antihistamines (Texa). It hasnt been bad enough to go to to the doctor or take time off work, and the accompanying cough only happens when I am lying down. For the past 2 days I have had twinges of chest pain in the centre of my chest. They happen anytime, not related to when I cough, or to activity levels. It is a sharp pain but lasts a very short time. Now I have a steady mild pain on the left side of my chest (near my armpit) as well. What could the chest pain be and should I go to the doctor?
Asked On : Mon, 21 Mar 2011