Why does my vision get bright after exercising? Is that normal?

Hi. I have seen similar questions but they do not seem to apply specifically to my case. I am 60 years old and I get pretty good exercise (bicycling on mostly paved trails and cardio workouts at a gym.) Whenever I push myself on the bicycle on especially hot days (as in a two-hour ride (mostly level) of about 15 miles in temps of 80-95 degrees) I experience a constant very bright vision for an hour or more after the exercise. I keep fairly hydrated (drink about 2 quarts of water during the ride - average speed of 9-14 mph when actually pedaling) and when the bright vision occurs, it is so severe that I will not drive because I do not see things well enough to feel safe. Sunglasses help but not enough. My vision starts to return to normal after about 30 minutes and after I drink another quart of water. It is usually back to normal after an hour. When this happens I am usually more fatigued than I am after a more sedate ride or a ride on a cooler day. I m just wondering if this is normal or dangerous - this will not happen after a gym workout except when I push myself a lot more than I normally do AND when it is hot. I happens about twice a month during the summer. THANK YOU for any info! Mike
Asked On : Thu, 6 Sep 2012
Cardiologist 's  Response
Dear Sir
Whenever we activate out sympathetic nervous system (exercising, slogging hard, fear, anxiety, stress) the pupil or the central black whole of eye gets enlarged and allows more light to enter the eye. But this should not cause any diminution of vision or blurring. Since this is causing you problem, i would like you to be seen by your internist and eye specialist both and get a clearance.
Hope this helps.