Why does my new born baby sleep all the time ?

Hi doctor ,My baby is of 6th day today, and i found her sleeping most of the time around 21hrs. i want to wake her for feed by trikling on legs and chest but still she feels drouzy,activities are normal, but feedind pattern is not much normal
Asked On : Sun, 10 Apr 2011
Hi Welcome to Healthcare magic....
Baby of 6 day old does three things 1)cry for feeds 2)potty 3)sleep.
Usually a newborn sleeps for most of the time.
Normally baby crys for feeds -feeds 20-30 min - sleeps for 2-3 hrs and gets up and crys again for feeds. This cycle happens round the day.
Usually baby passes urine > 6 times a day and poos after every feed.
Babys remain more active at night than day.
hi dnt be panic becz a 6days baby take sleep 20 to 22 hr aftr increase day i will be reduce ,if u have problm thn go to child specilist