What treatment should one take for sharp pain in the sternum area which aggravates on coughing, deep breathing and walking ?

My father is 74 years old and has been complaining of sharp pain on the sternum area of his chest . He starting feeling this a couple of months ago but has mentioned that the pain is stronger as of recently (since yesterday) It hurts when he coughs, takes a deep breath , and now even when he walks. He checked his blood pressure this morning and it reads 117/70. He has mentioned this pain to his cardiologist when it first started but was told it was nothing of concern.
Asked On : Wed, 18 Apr 2012