What is the treatment for rheumatic fever ?

Hi, I am 27 yr, male. I am suffering from rheumatic fever and my ASO vaule is 215 and ESR value is 58. what kind of treatment I should go for.
Asked On : Sat, 16 Jul 2011
welcome to HealthcareMagic
Rheumatic fever treatment is a complex treatment and has to be continued for a prolonged periods and that includes pain killers and anti inflammatory like salicylates to relieve pain and antibiotics like penicillin and if the patient is allergic to penecillin then other antibiotics;in infective periods even steroids may be needed.If there is carditis or involvement of heart then the treatment has to be according to the condition of the patient.So please consult a Physician M.D and he will give you the required treatment after examination.
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Aashish Raghu's  Response
Welcome to Healthcare Magic
You need ECG and ECHO of heart and if there is carditis you need Steroid treatment. Proper fluid hydration important. Also NSAID therapy is needed for painful joints and rashes. Penicillin therapy will also be given. Consult your Cardiologist who will plan according to your problems your management. Heart valve may be damaged. Be careful. Avoid heavy work. Avoid fatty food. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. Do brisk walking exercise everyday.