What is the solution for osteoporosis ?

Hi Doctor,
I lives in New Delhi. My mother facing a problem of osteoporosis please suggest me what i should do?
Asked On : Sat, 4 Jun 2011
Rheumatologist 's  Response
Hi !
Thank you for your query.
Dear Mehar,

Well Mehar you need to get A DEXA Scan of your mother to assess the bone mineral density. it is a disease which makes the bones porous thus increasing the risk of fracture specially affecting post menopausal females . You didnt mention the age of your mother which could have been helpful in deciding treatment strategy for her. osteoporosis can be treated by a large number of drugs . Bisphosphonates in form of Inj. Zoledronic acid taken once yearly or in tablet form like fosavance to be taken daily are popular optins. hormone replacement therapy can be given a trial. You should visit a rheumatologist to decide the best drug according to your need. Rest other supportive medications like calcium tablets and vit D sachets can also be taken after getting their resoective levels tested.

If you have any further queries feel free to ask.
Wish you good health.
Dr. Shruti

General & Family Physician Dr. Chirag Soni's  Response
Welcome to HCM.

You can take high calcium diet and mild exercise .tretment to prevent osteoporosis is available now a day which will improve your should consult Orthopaedician for proper line of management.
Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist Suhani Sethi's  Response
welcome to hcm
she should be prescribed calcium tablets along with vit D
include milk in her diet
expose her to early morning sunlight
mild exercise will also be beneficial
since osteoporosis leads to brittle bones and chances of fracture are high, take proper precautions to avoid this happening
i mean walking with proper aids is imp to avoid a fall
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Aashish Raghu's  Response
You may get her started on eating calcium rich diet like milk, cheese. She can eat fresh fruits and vegetables. She must exercise enough to prevent furthur calcium loss from her bones Calcium with Vitamin D3 tablets like SHELCAL will help keep her Calcium levels near normal. Strontium ranelate is a drug not yet approved by FDA for treatment of Osteoporosis but you may discuss the treatment options with the Orthopaedician.