What is the significance of occassional pus cells in stool?

my stool test report is nromal except it shows occassional pus cells. I have no complaint of gastro-intestenial problems, my bowl habits are normal and other reports urine , blood, bp , sugar etc are also ok. I m male age 62 living normal life, regular exercise, no medication or any other complaints. what is the significance of occassional pus cells in stool? regards, Jayant Gune
Asked On : Fri, 22 Feb 2013
Hello, thanks for using HCM.
Pus cells are dead neutrophils following contact with bacteria or after taking part in an immune reaction. The presence of pus cell in stool indicates that there is an on going process in the gut. Common causes of pus cell in stool include a gut infection, irritable bowel syndrome and inflammatory bowel syndrome.
Infections of the gut could be associated with pain, fever and and frequent motion and doesn't occur as a chronic disease.
Irritable bowel syndrome is a chronic digestive disorder with no real known cause characterized by crampy abdominal pains, bloating, diarrhea or constipation, mucus and pus cells in stool. Some people experience severe symptoms while others have very mild symptoms.
Inflammatory bowel disease is the term given to both crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. Both are associated with chronic inflammation of the gut and may be associated with weight loss, blood in stool as well and abdominal pains with symptoms varying with the degree of severity.
You need to be evaluated by a doctor in order to rule out other possible causes and to confirm the diagnosis that wil enable an efficient treatment if needed.
Best regards and hope this helps.

General & Family Physician Dr. Das Arindam's  Response
Sep 2012
Hello, Welcome to HCM, I am Dr. Das

Look, occasional pus cells in stool is not indicative of any particular disease condition.

Basically it indicates that there is absence of any infection.

So, do not worry. It is not at all a problem.