What is the normal blood sugar level?

my blood sugar level is 8.6 ? what is the normal level? my blood sugar level is 8.6 ? what is the normal level?
Asked On : Mon, 21 Dec 2009
i was a prediabetic and i had to do more tests on tuesday and got a call wed eve as they found i have inflammation in my body and i already have ibd and fms which is not good and i asked her what my glucose was and she said is was high like about 8.6-9. and she said that im now a full on diabetic and had to go on antibiotics and she wanted to see me today but she was fully booked so i saw another dr and i felt that she was fobbing me off and told me that my white blood cells were high and they have no idea why this has happened i know im being treated of a flare up of my ibd so im going to make another appointment tomo morning to see the dr that called me wed night but what i dont get is if it was not that important or more to it then i dont think she would of called and just got me to pick the prescription today instead of last night. the dr i saw today just wanted me out basically as she was the on call dr. Im also getting tremors in my hands and in my legs which my own dr is dealing with that for me she is a nice dr but she is away this week. Im not sure if anyone can help me understand more as far as im aware i have full on diabetes now and i really fill very ill all i want to do is sleep and drink and need the loo very often but it dont help with my other health issues im scared really. But why is one saying onething and the other saying something different. i will keep this updated when i see the othe dr that called me.
I forgot to say is i do my glucose level at home and its normally around 9.6 and today it was 11.0 and i told the dr that and she just brushed it off and put it down to my meds that i am on but wanting me to do more bloods but she did not mark what is being tested for and she said that she will put me on meds after the next test to lower the sugar levels but why not put me on them now im sorry for going on but im frustrated and mixed feelings.
  Anonymous's Response

In most humans levels varies from about 82 mg/dl to perhaps 110 mg/dl (4.4 to 6.1 mmol/l) except shortly after eating when the blood glucose level rises temporarily up to maybe 140 mg/dl (7.8 mmol/l) or a bit more in non-diabetics. The American Diabetes Association recommends to have a post-meal glucose level less than 180 mg/dl (10 mmol/l) and a pre-meal plasma glucose of 90-130 mg/dl (5 to 7.2 mmol/l).