What is the cause of snoring and sleep talk ?

When I am in sleep ,suddenly either snore or talking to myself as told by my friends
Asked On : Fri, 24 Feb 2012
Hello there,

You maybe aware that there are many causes of snoring. Advancing age, Smoking, Alcohol,Obesity(being over weight), having a blocked nose/sinus infection /lying on your back ---- any one of these or more could be the cause of your snoring. If you have identified the cause , just treat the cause. For example if it is blocked nose/sinus infection, once the condition is treated the snoring disappears. If it is because you are overweight, try losing weight. Avoid sleeping on your back. Sleep either on your left side or right side. When you sleep on your back, the tongue relaxes and could cause partial obstruction and snoring. This problem is relieved when you sleep on your sides.

Normal snoring doesn't affect the quality of your sleep. But, if you end up feeling more tired in the morning after an apparently good night's sleep , get a SLEEP STUDY done. It could be sleep apnoea (which is a serious condition)where during your sleep you stop breathing for a few seconds and it wakes you up to start breathing again. Other symptoms of sleep apnoea are increased day time sleepiness, poor concentration, headache, irritability. In this case visit a sleep specialist/ pulmonologist .

Have a nice day .

General & Family Physician Dr. Sourav Ganguly's  Response

Thanks for posting query.

They are so many causes of snoring among them obesity, nasal obstruction or any infection, neoplastic or polyp in the pharynx are common.

Best wishes