What is meant by ESR blood test?

What does an ESR blood test mean?
Asked On : Wed, 12 Dec 2012
Thanks for writing your query to us.

The erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) is an easy, inexpensive, nonspecific test that has been used for many years to help detect conditions associated with acute and chronic inflammation, including infections, cancers, and autoimmune diseases. ESR is said to be nonspecific because increased results do not tell exactly where the inflammation is in the body or what is causing it, and also because it can be affected by other conditions besides inflammation. For this reason, the ESR is typically used in conjunction with other tests. A high ESR is one of the main test results used to support the diagnosis. It is also used to monitor disease activity and response to therapy .
I hope I have answered your query. In case you have any further question I will be happy to help you.Take care.