What exactly is a flap surgery and how does it work on an open wound?

I am a 64 year old polio survivor, Had polio when I was 11 months old. Have had 15 to 20 surgeries correcting things til I was 16 yrs old My left ankle was fused when I was 12 and was fine til early 80 s when I got a bone infection in that ankle. Had it debrided 3 times and finally it healed. Over the years the skin is very thin and in August of 2010 I bumped it. It started out with a pinhole and opened up a while after. I ve had 3 surgeries and a skin graph for this . I wore a wound vac for a few months but it just wont heal. My orthopedic is talking about some kind of surgery called a flap but don t understand completely how this works. Any advice on what exactly is a flap and how does it work on an open wound?
Asked On : Fri, 3 Aug 2012