What does abnormal nerve conduction study mean in a diabetic patient suffering from Carpal tunnel syndrome ?

I m diabitic patient age 45 n suffer from mild degree of carpal tunnel syndrome in my right leg and i m unable to move continuosly for 15 min myself Devender sharma age 45 n diabitic patient from last 7 years n my sugar is undercontrol and i m facing problem while walking for15 min . continuosly. doctor recommended me DOPPLER TEST and Angiographic assesment but both the reports are normal. and doc. commented-GOOD VELOCITY FLOW SEEMS IN LOWER LIMB ARTENIAL SYSTEM. -NO VASCULAR DEFECT.... They recommended me to get my NERVE CONDUCTION STUDY and observed that the nerve conduction study is abnormal. There is evidence of mild degree of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in right leg......
Asked On : Thu, 21 Apr 2011
As your tests for vascular insufficiency and nerve conduction are normal it is confirm that you are having carpal tunnel syndrome or there may be osteo artheritis of meta tarsal joints giving rise to pain and stiffness of the joints resulting pain while walking.
In diabetes this type of degenerative changes take place early.You consult orthopedic surgeon and seek his advise.Small operation of nerve release in carpal tunnel syndrome will help you a lot.
General & Family Physician Dr. Usman Imtiaz's  Response
My dear carpal tunnel syndrome does not occur in legs, either it is tarsal tunnel syndrome or something else. If the nerve conduction study is abnormal then what type of abnormality is it.
In tarsal tunnel syndrome tibial nerve is compressed at the level of ankle which causes pain. As you also have diabetes, diabetic peripheral neuropathy can also produce these symptoms.
So first of all go to your doctor. He will confirm the diagnosis by examination and then will offer you treatment choices. In tarsal tunnel syndrome there are both medical and surgical options.
General & Family Physician Dr. Mohammed Tauseef's  Response
Hi Devender, Welcome to HealthcareMagic Forum.
I think you are Talking about Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome which is a compression neuropathy of the Tibial Nerve which causes Pain, Numbness and Altered sensations. The causes for this are various and exact cause has to be ruled out to treat the cause and cause.e exact cause has to be found out through Blood Work up and X ray. Since you are diabetic for past 7 years, there might be some neuronal degeneration. Get your urinalysis done along with fasting serum glucose level, hemoglobin A1C, blood urea nitrogen (BUN), creatinine, complete blood cell count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate and vitamin B12 levels.
You might want to consult a Orthopedist and Neurologist and Discuss your treatment Strategy.

Wish you Good Health.