What causes soreness and dryness in throat along with stickiness in mouth?

hie there..please i would like to know the cause of
a sore and dry throat when swallowing saliva.i also seem to be constantly spitting sticky saliva and it it seems like as if the i have mucuous which keep coming from the point where my nose pa
ssage and throat meet..my mouth is also sticky and there is also a funny feeling on my tongue like as if its burning.it has been going on for a long time now
Asked On : Fri, 7 Aug 2015
Dentist 's  Response
Hi..
Thanks for the query..

I have gone through your query and can understand your concern...

As per your complain and presentation of symptoms you are suffering from BURNING MOUTH SYNDROME secondary to DRY MOUTH or XEROSTOMIA..

The dryness in throat and sticky saliva in mouth with spitting out of mucous is due to reduction in the serous fluid of saliva and can occur due to a number of reasons like Salivary gland disorders, nerve damage supplying Salivary Glands, allergic reaction to certain Medication like blood pressure controlling medicines, Oral contraceptives and many others, Yeast infection like Thrush, autoimmune disease like Sjogrens Syndrome, radiation therapy in head and neck region, long standing dehydration etc are a few common causes..

You need to get evaluated by an Oral Physician and get a confirmatory diagnosis done as the treatment will be planned accordingly..
Treatment of the underlying cause will resolve the dry mouth and ultimately burning mouth..

As for temporary relief you can drink plenty of normal to preferably cold water..
Suck on ice pops..
Avoid hot, spicy and acidic foods..
Chew sugar free chewing gum as it helps in stimulating saliva flow..
Saliva substitute like Artificial Saliva drops containing methyl cellulose can be instilled multiple times in mouth for lubrication..

Hope this information helps..

Thanks and regards.
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.