What causes severely swollen lips?

My lips have been swollen for the past week. I don t know what caused it but they won t go down. At night they seem to get real puffy & in the morning when I awake they re bigger than they were the night before. During the day the swelling subsides but I want to know what s going on. Help please
Asked On : Sat, 19 Aug 2017
Dentist 's  Response
Hi.

As per your complain it seems that the symptoms of swelling of lips that subsides during the day but recur can be due to Allergic reaction causing Allergic Angioedema of lips....
It can be due to any food or medication while other causes can be allergic reaction to any skin cosmetic, soap, lip balm etc..
I would suggest you to consult a Physician and get evaluated and a clinical evaluation and investigations like blood tests for allergies like RAST TEST, Patch test, Food Challenge test can help in ruling out the exact cause of the symptoms and treat accordingly.
As of now take anti allergics like Levocetrizine..
Do cool compresses over the lips .
You can be advised injectable steroids and antihistamines to reduce swelling..

Hope this helps..

Regards..