What causes lack of responsiveness in a person suffering with Aspiration Pneumonia?

My mother is in the hospital with aspiration pneumonia. She is 79 And has alzheimers. I had a peg tube placed for feeding. Her vitals are all perfect and the IV meds seem to be working, however today she was quite lethargic, here eyes moved back and fourth and did not even respond to me. It was a look of like being drugged or overdosed. She hadn't eaten in 6 days and they just started feeding her through her tube today. What could this be? Even when she came back in from the peg tube insertion she smiled and was very spirited. Today she didn't even mumble and when I went right up to her she wasn't even looking directly at me, it was like she was looking off into space. Yesterday she was smiling and talking, (mumbling) and then Today no response and lethargic and sweating. They figured the sweat was because maybe the dosage was a bit night on the initial feeding so they took her off feeding for awhile, but that doesn't explain her being so lethargic.
Asked On : Fri, 14 Feb 2014