What causes a pulling sensation on the base of the skull?

I have tension on the left side of my neck. It feels like a pulling sensation from the base of my skull down behind my left ear. I also feel a soft lump at the base of my skull. The lump feels to be on the surface and does not hurt. Don t know what it is.
Asked On : Thu, 27 Jul 2017
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are different causes for lumps and bumps, in most cases there are no serious causes but physical examination may still be needed if it persists or enlarges.

May be related to trauma (the same tension in the area), infection, allergic response, a cyst, outgrowth of tissue etc.

I hope this helps