What causes a growth to emerge from a wound and how is it treated ?

My lodger has a growth coming out of a scratch. It started suddenly. Everytime he squeezes the scratch together the growth gets bigger. I ve cleaned and put a plaster on the wound . Should we do more, as this seems unusual?
Asked On : Sun, 16 Jan 2011
Welcome to Healthcare Magic
It may be normal granulation tissue which is part of normal healing. If it looks like a foreign body in the wound you need to get it removed at a Hospital. Avoid squeezing the wound. Better to get it dressed by a medical healthcare provider otherwise chance of healing will be less. Apply antibiotic ointment at the site of scratch to help in healing.