What are the disadvantages of padmasana ?

please i need the ans very urgrnt.
Asked On : Sat, 2 Apr 2011
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Hello and Welcome to HCM,
There are minimal disadvantage of padmasana
Do not perform this asana while suffering from:
Ankle injury
Knee injury
Padmasana is considered to be an intermediate to advanced pose. Do not perform this pose without sufficient prior experience or unless you have the supervision of an experienced teacher.
Hope this helps you.
Wishing you good health...

Ayurveda Specialist Dr. Munish Sood's  Response
1. Padmasana (lotus pose) consists of various 'bandha' and 'mudras', so it is of prime importance that you should wear loose cotton clothes, so that tight clothes do not interfere while you are practicing it.
2. make sure you don't have any knee/foot injury.
3. make sure you practice strictly under the guidance of Yoga teacher or supervision of yoga expert.
Homeopath Dr. Rangadhar Satapathy's  Response
Dear Ajmeer
Welcome to Healthcare Magic Forum
There is no specifically any dis adventages. But if your bulky and trying first time then it may put more pressure on the ligaments of knee and you may get pain or even ligament tear.
Thank you
Homeopath Dr. Anshita Singh Rathore's  Response
Welcome to Healthcaremagic Forum
There are no DISADVANTAGES of Padamasana.
There are contraindictions- means it shud not be done if you have pain or any affection related to ankle, knee, or hip.
Its adviced to do any exercise, yog under guidance, only.

For further inquired-
Ayurveda Specialist Dr. Rajesh Lakhanpaul's  Response
If you can do it with comfort and ease then there is no problem. If done wrongly it can cause sprain and if there is increase of pain at any site on doing it then discontinue and rule out the cause of pain.
Homeopath Dr. Pratima Verma's  Response
Welcome to Healthcare Magic
Always consult a Yoga instructor before doing Aasanas coz they may harm you instead of giving you benefits if done incorrectly. Padmasana is not advisable in those persons who have pain or leisons in lumbosacral region,knees and ankles.Initially you will have relieve your pain by a painkiller and then can start under guidance.

Thanks and take care.