What are the benefits of fasting and what should be the procedure?

Im currently looking into the benefits of fasting . From the information I have gathered from a varitey of different sources aslong as I am carefull and control the duration of the fast to a sensible time there can be many health benefits however I am concerned that it may effect my metabolism or perhaps cause me to over eat and gain weight after I break the fast. I currently tried to do the 5:2 ratio fasting, I decided Saturday and Sunday would be my fasting days where I would consume rougly 200 calories for breakfast and drink green tea/ water during the day. Is this method a healthy and beneficial way of fasting? The main objective of fasting 2 times per week is to get my body to repair itself and to help keep my body healthy. Additional info: Age 19 Weight: 10st 4lbs Height: Roughly 5ft5 no health problems
Asked On : Thu, 16 Aug 2012